Salt that is mixed with impurity is worthless and is thrown aside.
- Friends, this world is not your home, so don’t make yourselves cozy in it. Don’t indulge your ego at the expense of your soul. Live an exemplary life among the natives so that your actions will refute their prejudices. Then they’ll be won over to God’s side and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives. 1 peter 2:11
As a follower of Jesus, as someone who wants to walk with Father God every day in lifestyle obedience but who every day seems to in one way or another, indulge my ego. Jesus talked about followers being like salt in Mathew 5.
- V13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
- V 13 Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You’ve lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.
How do I keep from being mixed with impurity? Jesus says, “we are salt”, so the question is whether I am salt that can be used or not used.
What would I do every day if it was not for verses like 1 John 1 v 9
- If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness
- If we claim that we’re free of sin, we’re only fooling ourselves. A claim like that is errant nonsense. On the other hand, if we admit our sins—make a clean breast of them—he won’t let us down; he’ll be true to himself. He’ll forgive our sins and purge us of all wrongdoing. If we claim that we’ve never sinned, we out-and-out contradict God—make a liar out of him. A claim like that only shows off our ignorance of God.
Father God, keep me from indulging my ego and allowing impurities into my life that cause my life to loose the effectiveness, become ineffective and be discarded.